Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BURNEWHALL OLD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:10:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Buryan
National Grid Reference:
SW 40648 23619


ST BURYAN BURNEWHALL SW 42 SW 8/91 Burnewhall Old Farmhouse - GV II Farmhouse, now 2 houses. Possibly late medieval remodelled or rebuilt circa early C17 and extended circa mid and late C17. Granite rubble with granite dressings some slate hanging. Dry Delabole slate roof on older part on the left (east end) grouted scantle slate sweeping low over outshut of the taller part on the right but replaced with corrugated asbestos at its front. Dressed granite chimney over the left-hand gable end, brick chimneys over the gable ends of the taller part in the right. Plan: Original house was probably a 3 room with cross passage plan facing north with its hall and inner room left of the circa early C17 present front doorway. The lower end (W) room may have become a parlour or the hall in the C17 (2 windows at the front) and then the house was extended on the right with a large parlour wing with large windows in its front (ie the rear of the old house). Circa 1700 an outshut containing a staircase was added in front of this new wing. Exterior: 2 storeys. Old house has a slightly irregular north front, on its right is the rear of the later C17 addition. There are many C17 mullioned windows or outer frames of mullioned windows. Circa early C17 moulded doorway is towards the right of the old front (now within C19 gable-ended porch). Left of the doorway is a former 2- light C17 window, farther left a similar C19 window enlarged probably for the present circa early C19 12-pane sash and there is a later opening farther left. Right of the doorway is a wide C17 2-light mullioned window (rebated possibly for shutters) and on the right a former 2-light C17 window, now a doorway with a ledged door. First floor has 4 window openings. A blocked C17 window on the left and 3 later or altered openings aIl with circa early C19 sashes with glazing bars. Circa early C19 6-panel door in main doorway. Rear of old house has approximately central 2-light C17 (possibly stair) window and another C17 2-light window at ground floor left (surrounded by slatehanging). Doorway is within C19 porch towards the right and may be cut through a former hall window position. There is no sign of a doorway opposite the front doorway and much of the masonry on the right is an old rebuilding. A window under the eaves right of the porch appears to be chamfered. South front of circa mid-C17 parlour wing has 2 closely-set 4-light mullioned windows (with 2 blocked lights), 3-light mullioned windows above. Each first floor window has a mullion removed to insert later windows and each has a blocked light on its right. There is another C17 window in the left-hand gable end (now blocked). Interior: Left-hand end of house has few old features visible. There is a pair of circa early C19 panelled doors fitted to a possibly blocked window opening in the front wall of the left-hand room. The wall between 2 of the windows (now door and window) at far right of old house, is carried on a moulded corbel. There is a circa 1700 2-panel door in doorway with eaved architrave between the parlour wing and its outshut and a circa 1700 dog-leg stair with turned balusters in the outshut. Fireplaces are partly blocked. Roof structures not inspected but feet of old trusses are visible in right-hand end of old part of house.

Listing NGR: SW4064823619


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13239/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Butterfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].