DETACHED WOOL STORE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF SHEPHERDS PURSE, BANKSIDE, WOOL STORE AND STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144025

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: DETACHED WOOL STORE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF SHEPHERDS PURSE, BANKSIDE, WOOL STORE AND STABLES

Map

Ordnance survey map of DETACHED WOOL STORE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF SHEPHERDS PURSE, BANKSIDE, WOOL STORE AND STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 07:20:49.

Location

Statutory Address: DETACHED WOOL STORE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF SHEPHERDS PURSE, BANKSIDE, WOOL STORE AND STABLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Columb Major

National Grid Reference: SW 91171 65255

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TALSKIDDY SW 96 NW 2/337 Detached Wool Store immediately south south west of Shepherds Purse, Bankside, Wool Store and Stables GV II

Wool Store. Circa 1840, rebuild, probably retaining some earlier fabric. Cob and stone rubble patching. Hipped slate roof, partly reclad in corrugated iron. Plan: Rectangular on plan at right angles to road. The west end has a wool loft with louvred sides. The east end and south side have outshuts which are possibly part of the original building. Exterior: 2 storeys. At right hand end of north front and at right hand (west) end facing road the first floor has 3-bay wooden louvred openings with adjustable louvres, the south front south a loft doorway and doorways on the ground floor. The centre of the north front appears to have been rebuilt in stone rubble. At the east end the outshut is probably the remains of the original range which has been reduced in height. At rear (south) another cob outshut with a slate lean-to roof. Interior: not inspected. Historical Note: Said by owner to have been built by a Mr Allanson from Yorkshire. It is shown on the 1840 tithe map. The West Briton (newspaper) of 25 September 1840 reports a fire here - "the premises were totally destroyed, together with a large quantity of wool, whole of the working tools and other valuable property to a large amount". Wool Stores with louvred lofts are very unusual in Cornwall.



Listing NGR: SW9117165255

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71343

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The West Briton' in 25 September, (1840)

End of official listing