This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NUN WITH ATTACHED WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY TO SOUTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NUN WITH ATTACHED WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY TO SOUTH

List entry Number: 1144041

Location

CHURCH OF ST NUN WITH ATTACHED WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY TO SOUTH, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Grampound with Creed

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71384

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAMPOUND FORE STREET (north side), Grampound SW 9248-9348 WITH CREED 7/42 Church of St Nun with attached - wall, railings and gateway to south

GV II

Chapel of ease. Dated 1869. Slatestone rubble with granite and limestone dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges and bellcote to west. Cross finial on the roof ridge set on raised coping over the junction between the nave and the chancel. Plan: Nave and chancel in one. South porch. C20 south vestry. Early English style. Exterior: The nave and chancel are on a chamfered plinth. To south, the nave has two 2-light windows and one single light, with cusped lights, 2-centred arch and hood mould. To north there are 3 similar windows, all with limestone surrounds. To west there are 3 lancets, the central one taller, with hood moulds and relieving arch, breather above. Gabled bellcote above with 2 arched openings and image nich. The chancel has an apsidal east end with 4 cusped lancets each with upper tracery quatrefoil and 2-centred arch. Gabled south porch has raised coped verges and cross finial; 2-centred arched roll-moulded outer doorway, with plank door with good ironwork. The gabled south vestry, of C20, has 3-light window to west and door in the south gable. There is a retaining wall enclosing an area to south of the church, in an L-plan; there is a granite coping to the wall, with twisted iron railings with trefoil finials, the stanchions with a cable moulding; cross finials to each side of the pedestrian gateway. Interior: The nave has 4-bay arched-brace roof rising from carved stone corbels, with one tier of windbraces. The west window has nook shafts. Chamfered north doorway with 2-centred arch, door with strap hinges. The chancel arch is 2-centred, piers to sides with carved capitals and hood mould with foliate stops. The east end of the chancel has a wooden vaulted roof, the ribs rising from stone corbels. Carved stone reredos with blank cusped arches and crocketed hoods and a centrepiece with carved panels. Aumbry to left and piscina to right. Dated 1869 over south door from chancel to vestry. Fittings: C19 wooden benches in nave stalls in chancel with poppy head bench ends. Communion rail in wrought iron. Stone pulpit in nave with marble colonnettes and open cusped arches. Octagonal granite font in nave. Good brass candelabra on the walls of the nave and four corona lucis candelabra in the nave and chancel. All windows lattice glazed. The church of St Nun was built in 1869 on the site of a C15 chapel, of which nothing remains. Sources: Pevsner, N. Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9359048311

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 93590 48311

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 03:16:53.

End of official listing