BANKSIDE SHEPHERDS PURSE SHEPHERDS PURSE AND BANKSIDE INCLUDING WOOL STORE AND STABLES ADJOINING SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144065

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: BANKSIDE

Statutory Address: SHEPHERDS PURSE

Statutory Address: SHEPHERDS PURSE AND BANKSIDE INCLUDING WOOL STORE AND STABLES ADJOINING SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of BANKSIDE
SHEPHERDS PURSE
SHEPHERDS PURSE AND BANKSIDE INCLUDING WOOL STORE AND STABLES ADJOINING SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 09:55:24.

Location

Statutory Address: BANKSIDE

Statutory Address: SHEPHERDS PURSE

Statutory Address: SHEPHERDS PURSE AND BANKSIDE INCLUDING WOOL STORE AND STABLES ADJOINING SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Columb Major

National Grid Reference: SW 91176 65272

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST WENN TALSKIDDY SW 96 NW 2/336 Shepherds Purse and Bankside including Wool Store and Stables adjoining South

GV II

Pair of Cottages and integral wool store and stables. Circa 1846 rebuilt of earlier building. Colourwashed cob on stone rubble base. The right hand (north) end slate rubble with dressed granite quoins and red brick arches. Slate roofs, half-hipped north end and hipped over right hand (south) range. Plan: Long range comprising a pair of cottages at left (north) end and an integral wool store to right with a stable range at right angles at right hand (south) end. The stables might be an addition after the fire reported in 1840. Exterior: 2 storeys. Pair of cottages (Shepherds Purse and Bankside) to left has a symmetrical 3-window front, centre first-floor window divided 2-light casement with original small 16-pane sashes to left and right. Larger late C19 or C20 sashes on ground floor with vertical glazing bars and pair of C20 glazed doors at centre, the left hand with a canopy on wrought iron brackets. Wool store to right has doorway on left, central window and wide cart entrance on right with 3 bay opening above with adjustable wooden louvres. At right angles on right a 2-storey stable block with a hipped roof and brick cambered arch openings on ground floor and a small loft doorway above at centre. At the right hand (east) end of south range a flight of stone steps to a loft doorway. Interior: not inspected. Historical Note: Said by owner to have been built by a Mr Allanson from Yorkshire. it is shown on the 1846 tithe map. The West Briton, (newspaper) of 25 September 1846, reports a fire here - "the premises were totally destroyed, together with a large quantity of wool, whole of the working tools and other valuable property to a large amount". Wool stores with louvred lofts are very unusual in Cornwall.



Listing NGR: SW9117665272

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71342

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The West Briton' in 25 September, (1846)

End of official listing