RIVER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144170

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: RIVER HOUSE, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:11:48.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVER HOUSE, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Sampson

National Grid Reference: SX 12179 54972

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST SAMPSON CHURCH HILL, Golant SX 15 SW 9/252 River House - II

Vicarage, now house. Probably C18, extended and remodelled circa 1840, with later alterations of C19 and C20. Slatestone rubble, partly rendered, partly painted. Hipped slate roofs with lead rolls to hips and ridge, rendered stacks. Plan: the house is in 2 parallel ranges, with the early building to the front, originally of 3-room plan, but substantially remodelled when the rear range was added circa 1840. The rear range projects to the left, and has service rooms to the rear of the original range, with stair hall to the centre. An entrance hallway has been formed in the front range, leading through to the stair hall at the rear; there is a service corridor with pantry leading to the kitchen in a rear wing to right, which may be of the orignal building. In the front range, the room to left is heated by a rear lateral stack, as is the room to left, axial stack heating the central room. The remodelling is in a picturesque Gothick style; although circa 1840, it looks more like C18 Gothic revival. 2 storeys, the entrance front has 3 bays to left and blind bay to right; in painted rubble. To the left, there is a central C20 door retaining the Gothick head, which is an ogee head with fanlight and recessed spandrels; to right and left, a 2-light casement, each with diamond lattice glazing, ogee head over each light with splayed glazing bars and decorative foliage in the spandrels, square hood mould. At first floor, 4 tall gabled dormers, each with pointed arched single light casement with similar glazing and pointed arched fanlight; arranged 3 to left and one to right. The right side has C20 door and mid C19 16-pane sash at ground floor, two 12-pane sashes and central C20 light at first floor. The left side faces the garden, and has the left end of the front range in painted rubble, the later range projecting to left and rendered. The early range has a canted bay through 2 storeys, with bellcast hipped roof rising to the main ridge level. At ground floor, 4 ogee lights, with diamond glazing and plain spandrels, at first floor 4 ogee lights with splayed glazing bars to heads and decorated spandrels, at first floor 4 ogee lights with splayed glazing bars to heads and decorated spandrels. The projecting bay to left has a narrow canted bay through 2 storeys, 4 ogee lights at each level, with similar glazing and plain spandrels. The rear has one gabled dormer with pointed arched single light and diamond glazing to the centre of the main range, a C20 addition; there is a gable over the stair hall with a single pointed arched light. Single storey lean-to addition along the rear of the main range. Interior The interior has been altered in the C20, with Gothick features introduced in the front left room in the front range; however this retains plasterwork on the ceiling of the Gothick phase, a star of the east. Plain moulded cornice, partially renewed. Open well stair with stick balusters to rear centre of house. At first floor, the room to front left has 2 rear corner cupboards with ogee arches, and central plasterwork on the ceiling, a cluster of oak leaves.



Listing NGR: SX1217954972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71001

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing