COSWARTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144174

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: COSWARTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of COSWARTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:09:51.

Location

Statutory Address: COSWARTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Colan

National Grid Reference: SW8688559699

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLAN SW 85 NE 11/4 Coswarth 7.1.52 GV II

Farmhouse. Circa late C16 - early C17 origin; extended in circa early-mid C18, dated 1761, with additions and alterations of C19 and later alterations. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings. Hipped slate and asbestos slate roofs, with rear lateral stacks to the two rooms in the main range. End stacks with brick shafts. Plan: L-plan, with a wing to rear right and a stair tower in the angle to rear. All that remains of the original late C16 - early C17 house is the right-hand range, which appears to be a parlour cross-wing of a larger house whose main range to the left has been rebuilt in 1761 (datestone) and early C19 and the lower left end demolished. The left-hand range may be a rebuilding on the site of or in front of the hall. Outhouses of circa C18 were attached at the left side, enclosing a small service yard. Exterior: Asymmetrical 2-storey front, with the C18 range to left and the early range to right, with a straight joint between. To right, at ground floor, there is an 8- light granite window, hollow-chamfered, with king mullion and mullions. This may be the right end room of the original cross-wing, the rooms to left replaced by the C18 building. At first floor there is a 12-pane sash. The bay to left has C20 door, with 12-pane sash at ground floor and 16-pane sash at first floor. Datestone HE 1761 above the door. End bay set back to left, with 16-pane sash of C19 at ground and first floor. At the left side, the end wall is blind. Attached to left a pair of C19 piers with re-used octagonal stone caps with ball finials, forming the entrance to the service yard. Part of an unglazed stone mullioned window is incorporated in to the pier to left. There is an L-plan range of 2-storey rubble outhouses with corrugated asbestos roofs joining the outer pier to the house. The range of outhouses to left has 2 doors and a 16-pane sash at ground floor, two 2-light casements at first floor. The range adjoining the house has 3 doors and 2 windows at upper level. The inner side of the house has a projection for the stair to right, with a 15-pane light. To left, C20 door and 16-pane sash, with two C20 windows at first floor. The right side of the house has a large external stack to left. To right there are three 12-pane sashes and one 16-pane sash at first floor ; ground floor has 12-pane sash, 2-light casements to the central room and a stack to right with a C20 window at each side. This is in sqaure granite rubble. The end window to right was formerly a doorway. Interior: The front entrance leads into a large entrance hall, with stair to rear left; open-well stair with stick balusters. To right there is a doorway leading into the early range ; this has a flat head, in granite, with roll and hollow moulding and vase with run-out stops. The central room in the early range was partitioned probably in circa C18, as dairy and larder, with a 2-panelled door with ventilation holes to the room to left. The partition forms a narrow passage, giving access to the main front room and the rear room in the wing. The rear room is heated from a stack at the right side ; the fireplace is in granite, with flat head, roll and hollow moulding with the same stops as the outer doorway.

Listing NGR: SW8688559699

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71009

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing