Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144182.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2021 at 15:39:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 86824 61300


COLAN SX 86 SE 6/24 Church of St Colanus (formerly listed as Church 10.2.67 of St Colan) GV I

Parish church. C13, with additions of C14 and C15. Tower rebuilt in 1879, with Incorporated Society for Building and Churches board dated 1881. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings. Tower in granite ashlar, the lower stage banded in darker stone. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges and cross finials. Plan: The nave and chancel in one, with lower roof level to the chancel and south transept of C13. North aisle added in C15, with south porch and west tower. Exterior: The nave has one window to south between the porch and the transept, a C19 Perpendicular window of 2 lights with 4-centred arch and hood mould. The chancel has similar 2-light window to south and similar 3-light east window. North aisle in two builds, the east range at higher roof level. The east range has early C15 2-light window with cusped lights and upper quatrefoil, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Buttress to right. The east end has 2-light C15 Perpendicular window. The west range has 2 C19 3-light windows with square heads and hood mould, varied tracery ; north door with 4-centred arch and wave moulding, C19 door with strap hinges. The west end has C15 2-light window with cusped lights, square head and hoodmould. The south transpet has south gable end with C19 2-light Perpendicular window ; to east a C19 4-centred arched doorway with hoodmould. South porch is gabled, with wide 4-centred roll-moulded doorway with C19 wooden gate; slate sundial over the gnomon, dated 1724. Interior of the porch has tiled floor and granite benches to sides. C19 arched-brace roof with carved bosses. Inner 4- centred arched doorway with hollow-moulding, C19 door with strap hinges; recess above, possibly for former image niche. The west tower is in 2 stages on hollow-chamfered plinth, with moulded string courses, embattled parapet with pinnacles. 4-centred arched west doorway, C19 door with good ironwork. 3-light C19 Perpendicular window above. Second stage has 3- light bell-openings with cusped lights, square head and hoodmould, slate louvres and relieving arch. North side has lancets for stair and single lancet with hood mould carried over the string course. Interior: C19 tiled floor and plastered walls. Nave has wagon roof with C15 carved wall-plate, ribs and bosses, unceiled. Chancel is ceiled with early C19 wagon roof with carved bosses. In the north aisle, the east end has wagon roof, boarded, and the west end has C19 wagon roof resting on stone corbels above the arcade. South transept has C19 arched-brace roof. Tower roof rebuilt C19 with imposts and 4- centred arch. Nave has 3-bay north arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with plain hollow-moulded capitals and 4-centred chamfered arches. Similar arch rising from a stone corbel over the arcade to the chancel. Semi-circular recess over the south porch doorway. The arch to the south transept is 4-centred with convex mouldings and plain pillar at the west side. C19 wooden screen across. The south window of the nave was formerly a doorway. The south transept has a small 3-centred arched hollow- chamfered doorway leading through the east wall to the outer C19 doorway; no sign of a rood stair. Piscina in east wall and cupboard with C19 doors, possibly originally a window. The chancel has the base and lower part of C15 carved wooden rood screen; cusped heads to panels, with a beaded moulding and quatrefoil panels along the base. C19 aumbry. 2-bay north arcade from the chancel to the north aisle with Pevsner A- type piers and convex moulded capitals, 4-centred moulded arches. The north aisle has 4-centred arch between the east and west ranges with similar piers. The aisle appears to have been rebuilt with this archway inserted, the arcade pier being complete on the north side. Fittings: Octagonal stone font in nave on octagonal stem with carved panels with quatrefoils. C19 wooden benches in nave and aisle with C19 wooden pulpit in nave. C19 Gothic panelled reredos. C17 chest in nave with carved panels and palmette frieze. Monuments in nave: slate monument with low relief carved flowers and foliage, to William Glannel, 1726; in chancel a brass to John Cosowarth and his wife, with 8 children, 1575; oval stone tablet to John Gurney, 1790. In north aisle: slate monument with inset brass with figures of man and wife with children and shields of arms, to Francis Bluet, 1572 and his 22 children. Glass: Stained glass of 1887, 1884 etc by Gibbs and Howard. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW8682461302


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12558/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Spreadborough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].