This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL COURT AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL COURT AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS

List entry Number: 1144245

Location

OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL COURT AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS, QUEEN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lostwithiel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Aug-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 15 NW 10/133 18.10.49

LOSTWITHIEL QUEEN STREET,Lostwithiel Old Grammar School Court and attached forecourt walls (formerly listed as the Old Grammar School)

GII School, now in multiple occupation.Dated 1781,with late C20 alterations.Granite ashlar front.Slate roof with gable ends behind parapet.Central entrance,and entrance to right and left of front,approached by a path with gateways in the front courtyard walls;originally one room to left and right of the central entrance.Two storeys with attic on plinth,symmetrical one:five:one bays.Three central bays broken forward with pediment with moulded coping;ground floor has arcade of three round arches with square imposts,central panelled and glazed double doors with blind fanlight, two-light C20 casement to right and left with fanlights;at first floor,three twelve-pane sashes,the central sash with the datestone as apron,with inscription:This building was erected by George,Visct Mt Edgcumbe and Valletort in the year 1781;painted shield of arms with viscount's coronet over.Outer bays to right and left have two-light casement in similar round arch, formerly a doorway, with twelve-pane sash at first floor.The attic storey has gabled dormer to left and right, each with four-pane sash,C20 rooflights behind pediment.The forecourt walls are about one and a half metres high, with central gateway with plain pier with pyramidal cap to each side. At each end, a round arch with imposts and wall carried over the coping.Interior Not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX1029459777

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 10294 59777

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:45:37.

End of official listing