SEBERGHAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1144392
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
SEBERGHAM HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEBERGHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:45:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEBERGHAM HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Sebergham
National Grid Reference:
NY 36366 42442

Details

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Churchtown

9/164 Sebergham Hall II*

House. Late C17. Pink and calciferous sandstone ashlar, with eaves cornice and V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; ashlar chimney stacks. Extension of hammer-dressed sandstone under graduated greenslate roof with square ashlar chimney stack. 2 storeys, 5 bays, with lower 2-storey, 3-bay extension to right. Panelled double doors in bolection architrave with carved leaf frieze under console bracketed broken segmental pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves, those on ground floor under alternating triangular and segmental broken pediments; central upper floor window with carved frieze and console brackets. Blocked entrance to extension (now casement window) has dated and inscribed lintel, TS 1766. 2- and 3-light casement windows, sash windows with glazing bars to right, all in stone architraves. Rear: entrance to extension has dated and inscribed lintel R & R.S. 1737 with unifying extension dated and inscribed over window H.J.S. 1964. 2-light stone-mullioned C18 and C20 windows. Interior has panelled shutters to each window. Late C17 oak staircase with twisted balusters and heavily moulded handrail. Home of the Simpson family until 1780 and bought back by the present owner Hugh John Simpson in 1946, See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxxiii, p81.

Listing NGR: NY3636642442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72472
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 33, (), 81

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].