ORTHWAITE HALL AND ADJOINING BARN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1144419

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: ORTHWAITE HALL AND ADJOINING BARN

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORTHWAITE HALL AND ADJOINING BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 14:24:20.

Location

Statutory Address: ORTHWAITE HALL AND ADJOINING BARN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Ireby and Uldale

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 25272 34183

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 23 SE IREBY Orthwaite

16/126 Orthwaite Hall and adjoining barn 11.4.67 II*

Farmhouse and former house now barn. Probably late C16 or early C17 with new house dated and inscribed on coat-of-arms panel over barn doorway: C.R.1675 (Christopher Richmond, arms Richmond of Highhead impaling Hudleston of Hutton John). Painted mixed slate and limestone rubble under graduated greenslate roof with stone chimney stacks. Barn has roughcast walls under graduated greenslate roof partly replaced with corrugated asbestos. 2 storeys, 6 bays with right-angled barn to left, of common roof line. C20 panelled door in stone architrave under segmental pediment. 2-light stone-mullioned windows with C19 leaded casements, in architraves under pulvinated frieze and cornice. Barn has blocked original house windows now covered by roughcast. Central doorway with chamfered alternate-block surround under keyed lintel. Plank loft door and all other openings are C19 and C20. Rear extensions are partly C17 and C19; that to right has a 2-light window with stone mullion removed and a C19 round-headed staircase window to left. Belonged to the Simpson family in early C17 until purchased by the Richmonds. Bought by Browne family in the early C18 and remained theirs until 1894. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxix, pp221-239; lxx, pp146-160.

Listing NGR: NY2527234183

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72434

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 221-239
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 146-160

End of official listing