HESKET HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1144444

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: HESKET NEWMARKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HESKET HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:06:46.

Location

Statutory Address: HESKET NEWMARKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Caldbeck

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 33973 38646

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/11/2015

NY 33 NW 13/80

CALDBECK, Hesket Newmarket, Hesket Hall

(Formerly listed as Hesket Hall Farmhouse)

11.4.67

II*

Manor house, later farmhouse. Mid or late C17 for Sir Wilfrid Lawson. Cement rendered walls with flush stone quoins (each with an individual mason's mark) under parapet with urn finials on each corner. Hipped graduated greenslate roof with large square central rendered chimney stack. Square 2 storeys, 3 bays with lower 2-storey, single-bay gabled extensions to each face; ball finials on gables. Garden facade has 4-panel door in chamfered surround under hoodmould with oval window above in stone surround under hoodmould. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Side and rear walls and extensions have 3-light cross-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds. The site of an earlier house of the Bewley family, sold to William Lawson of Isel Hall in 1630 and rebuilt by his son, "a curious structure with twelve angles, so contrived that the shadows show the hours of the day". See Sir Edmund Thomas Bewley, The Bewleys of Cumberland, 1902, p39. Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, i, p31, Bishop Nicholson's Diary, "1685, June 6, By Sr Wilfrid Lawson's whim at Heskett".

Listing NGR: NY3397338646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72388

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thomas Bewley, E, The Bewleys of Cumberland, (1902), 39
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 1, (), 31

End of official listing