BARN/IMPLEMENT STORE WITH CLOCK TOWER EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144457

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: BARN/IMPLEMENT STORE WITH CLOCK TOWER EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN/IMPLEMENT STORE WITH CLOCK TOWER EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 21:51:32.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN/IMPLEMENT STORE WITH CLOCK TOWER EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Blennerhasset and Torpenhow

National Grid Reference: NY 17451 41121

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 14 SE BLENNERHASSET & TORPENHOW Blennerhasset (NY 17450 41120) Barn/implement store 5/11B with clock tower east of Mechi Farmhouse

GV II

Sheep shed, coach house and butching house, with adjoining clock tower, now store with hay loft above. 1865 for William Lawson of Brayton. Polychrome rubble walls with flush red-sandstone quoins, under Welsh slate roof, the rear span under corregated asbestos roof. Red-sandstone ashlar clock tower. Long 2-storey, 6-bay building of double span with left tall square clock tower. 3 segmental arches with boarded doors and 2 C20 sliding plank doors, all under loft doorway and plain sandstone openings (one glazed). Tower has round clock- face openings on each side under round-arched vents, but clock now removed. William Lawson in Ten Year of Gentleman Farming, 1874, p.156, states "these were to fatten sheep at a wonderful rate; but the scheme never did well". Forms part of a model farm group and listed for GV with Mechi farmhouse and farm buildings.

Listing NGR: NY1745141121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72318

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawson, W, Ten Years of Gentleman Farming, (1874), 156

End of official listing