This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GAS HOUSE NORTH EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GAS HOUSE NORTH EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1144458

Location

GAS HOUSE NORTH EAST OF MECHI FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blennerhasset and Torpenhow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72320

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 14 SE BLENNERHASSET & TORPENHOW Blennerhasset (NY 17410 41180)

5/11D Gas house north-east of Mechi Farmhouse

GV II

Gas house and smithy now farm store. 1863-4 for William Lawson of Brayton. Polychrome rubble walls with flush red-sandstone quoins, under Welsh slate roof and yellow-brick chimney stack. l½ storeys, double span, with tall square tapering chimney to centre rear. Plain boarded doors and blocked windows, all with red-sandstone surrounds,under round-headed louvred-vent openings. Left return wall has large C20 sliding plank door. Coal-fired furnaces provided gas for the farm and the village of Blennerhasset. William Lawson in Ten Years of Gentleman Farming, 1874, p.153, states that the gas was switched on on lst April 1865, Forms part of a model farm group and listed for GV with Mechi Farmhouse and farm buildings.

Listing NGR: NY1740941178

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lawson, W, Ten Years of Gentleman Farming, (1874), 153

National Grid Reference: NY 17409 41178

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 09:00:39.

End of official listing