CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1144492
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:49:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Workington
National Grid Reference:
NX 99734 28956

Details

NX 0028 WORKINGTON WORKINGTON

5/80 Church of St Michael

6.6.51 II*

Parish Church. C12 tower, nave rebuilt in 1770 and after a fire in 1888 by Bassett Smith and James Howes. Hammer-dressed pink and calciferous sandstone, the rebuilding of similar material but with red sandstone quoins, string course and battlemented parapet with crocketed finials, all on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. West 3-storey tower with 9-bay nave and aisles; single-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower base is C12 with upper storeys of 1770. Elliptical-arched west doorway under Perpendicular- style overlight. Painted west clock face with Roman numerals under Perpendicular- style bell openings. Nave and aisles are wholly 1888 with traceried 2- and 3-light windows on 2 levels. Chancel has large traceried east window. Single- storey polygonal vestry. Interior of tower/porch has medieval pedestal font with octagonal carved bowl. C12 tower arch has broach-stopped hollow chamfer. Built-in C12 cushion capital, medieval slab and cross fragments. Various C19 wall plaques. Interior of nave has barrel roof with braces. 4-bay aisles. C19 gallery. Variety of late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Side chapel has carved and painted reredos 1933. Chancel has C19 piscina and sedilia. Effigies of Sir Christopher Curwen and his wife, 1450, on tomb base with heraldic side panels.

Listing NGR: NX9973428956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72305
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09403/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].