CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1144494
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144494 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 13:31:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Allhallows
National Grid Reference:
NY 20376 41843

Details

NY 24 SW ALLHALLOWS Mealsgate

6/3 Church of All Saints

II

Disused parish church. C12 with restorations originally dated L.S. 1587 (Salkeld) and G.M. 1862 (George Moore) but both stones now missing. Mixed sandstone and limestone rubble partly coursed, C19 addition with flush quoins. Graduated greenslate roof. 2-bay nave in ruins and 2-bay chancel with south side chapel. Nave has collapsed walls above sill height and interior filled with fallen rubble. Chancel has one north original narrow round-headed window, much repaired, all others are C19, the east window being 3-light under hoodmould. Chapel has 3-light south window and west entrance. Chancel arch is Norman and has been blocked. Interior has C16 timber roof trusses. C17 communion rail and early medieval tub-shaped font with incised collar lines. Wall plaques to Thomas Denton of Warnell 1697 and Thomas Moore by John Adams of Acton. Iron rails separate side chapel from chancel. Chapel was built by George Moore for his wife who died in 1858. Made redundant when new church was built 1897-1899 and now only used once a year.

Listing NGR: NY2037641843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72308
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].