This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOW WOOD NOOK AND FORMER STABLES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOW WOOD NOOK AND FORMER STABLES

List entry Number: 1144496

Location

LOW WOOD NOOK AND FORMER STABLES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blennerhasset and Torpenhow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72312

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 14 SE BLENNERHASSET & TORPENHOW

5/7 Low Wood Rook and former stables

II

House and stables used in C19 as inn. Dated and inscribed over entrance J. & E.A. (Addison) 1663; with extensive C18 alterations and additions. Painted rendered walls on chamfered plinth under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys with attic, 2 bays with lower 2-bay extension and stables under common roof to left. c20 door in original C17 surround under inscribed lintel with hoodmould dated on the label stops. Double sash windows in late C18 painted stone surrounds. Central pointed attic window is now boarded. Extension has sash windows in painted stone surrounds, those on upper floor with glazing bars. Former stable has plank door and casement windows, some boarded, all in painted stone surrounds. Birthplace of Thomas Addison, later of London, who gave the ceiling for Torpenhow Church in 1689 and was a relative of Joseph Addison the essayist, see C.R. Hudleston & R.S. Boumphrey, Cumberland Families & Heraldry, 1978, pl.

Listing NGR: NY1931040556

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudleston, , Boumphrey, , Cumberland Families and Heraldry, (1978), 1

National Grid Reference: NY 19310 40556

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:42:43.

End of official listing