WYTHOP HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144498

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: WYTHOP HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLES

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYTHOP HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:58:38.

Location

Statutory Address: WYTHOP HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Wythop

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 20291 28404

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 22 NW WYTHOP

7/127 Wythop Hall and adjoining former 3.3.67 stables II Farmhouse and adjoining former stables. Probably mid C16 with extension dated and inscribed F. & V.F. 1678 (Fletcher) with late C19 alterations. Rendered walls on irregular plinth, under graduated greenslate roof with C19 rusticated chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with right-angled stables to right, forming overall L-shape, originally the hall and kitchen range of courtyard plan, attached to a fortified house. C19 enlarged 2-light sash windows under continuous C16 hoodmoulds. Porch at right side has top-glazed 6-panel door in painted architrave under dated lintel. Former stables of whitewashed rubble under corrugated iron roof. Ground-floor 3-light stone-mullioned window, plank doors and upper-floor casement window. Gable wall has enlarged C20 garage entrance with loft doorway above. House has C17 outshut and further C19 extension to rear. For details of the tower which was given a licence to crenellate 12 July 1318, see M.W. Taylor, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland, C.W. extra series, vol. viii, pp324-5.

Listing NGR: NY2029128404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, M W , Old Manorial Halls of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1892), 324-325

End of official listing