CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144527

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144527 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 13:33:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: St. John's Castlerigg and Wythburn

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 30647 22458

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 32 SW ST JOHNS CASTLERIGG & WYTHBURN ST JOHN'S IN THE VALE

13/96 Church of St John 3.3.67 II

Parish church. Inscribed over porch REBUILT 1845; but incorporating part of an earlier church, with 1893 restoration. Coursed mixed slate and igneous rock reinforced with small galleting pieces, under graduated greenslate roof. 6-bay nave/chancel with small rectangular west tower and north porch. 2-light windows in Tudor-style stone surrounds and similar 3-light east window. Tower has twin bellcote openings and battlemented parapets. Segmental-arched low stone porch. Interior has open timber roof. Carved Royal Arms of George III and marble wall plaques to Hodgson family 1774 and John Wilkinson 1853. Wooden panelling from box pews in Crosthwaite Church, brought here in 1893. C18 pulpit and sounding board are probably from another church, brought here in 1893. Early C18 sanctuary rails, and altar table by Sir G. Gilbert Scott, were the gift of Crosthwaite Church. Stained-glass east window of 1895 and heraldic south window to Henry Corrie Jackson who died in the Boer War, 1900. Furnishings and fittings, 1893.

Listing NGR: NY3064722458

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72181

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing