This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DALEHEAD COTTAGE DALEHEAD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DALEHEAD COTTAGE DALEHEAD HALL

List entry Number: 1144531

Location

DALEHEAD COTTAGE
DALEHEAD HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. John's Castlerigg and Wythburn

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72189

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 31 NW ST JOHNS CASTLERIGG & WYTHBURN THIRLSPOT

17/104 Dalehead Hall and Dalehead Cottage

II

Formerly one house, now divided into cottage and residential meeting centre for Manchester City Corporation. Late C16, partly rebuilt 1623, with late C17 and early C19 extensions. Thick painted roughcast walls on massive battered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with large square and round stone chimney stacks. Rear of house has incised stucco walls with patterned cast gutters. 2 storeys, 4 bays with 3-storey single-bay projection to right. Rear 2-storey, 5-bay C19 facade with projecting bay to right. Formerly of single span with late C17 stair projection to left rear; increased to double span in C19, filling the angle of the original L-shape. C18 panelled door in wooden surround within plain opening. 2 late C17 ground-floor cross-mullioned windows; one further wooden facsimile cross-mullioned window and C20 casement to right, all in plain reveals. Upper-floor fixed-casement windows with glazing bars in enlarged plain reveals. C19 lean-to extension to left has side plank door, covering a blocked doorway with wooden lintel inscribed R.L. (probably Richard Leathes born 1625). Contemporary extension to right has small original openings. Side wall right has early C20 doorway and windows. Rear has top-glazed panelled door under patterned fanlight in painted stone surround with pediment, all within C20 wooden-framed porch. Sash windows in painted stone surrounds. Interior has C17 plank and C18 panelled doors throughout. Semicircular original staircase with C20 wooden steps. Central chimney stack has 2 inglenooks in ground-floor rooms of cottage. Beamed ceilings. Upper-floor bedroom has C17 fireside door which has probably been the doorway to a cradle cupboard. Hall has late C17 oak staircase with barley-twist balusters and heavy moulded handrail. Upper-floor room has cupboard in what was originally the rear wall of the hall, which contains a small 3-light wooden-mullioned early C17 window with diamond leaded panes, in its original position. Dalehead was purchased by the Laythes family (later Leathes) in 1577. A stained glass window inscribed CHRISTOPHERUS LAYTHES HOC DOM AEDIF A.D. 1623 has been removed. Sold in 1879 by George Stanger-Leathes with Thirlmere, to Manchester Corporation, so that Thirlmere could be made into a reservoir. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, 1x, pp109-119; R.W. Brunskill, Dalehead Hall, Thirlmere, Cumbria, An architectural report and commentary, 1980.

Listing NGR: NY3137517500

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brunskill, R W , Dalehead Hall Thirlmere Cumbria, An Architectural Report and Commentary, (1980)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 60, (), 109-119

National Grid Reference: NY 31375 17500

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144531 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 07:49:07.

End of official listing