WYTHBURN CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1144532
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
WYTHBURN CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYTHBURN CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144532.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 01:56:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
WYTHBURN CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
St. John's Castlerigg and Wythburn
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 32438 13578

Details

NY 31 SW ST JOHNS CASTLERIGG & WYTHBURN WYTHBURN

21/106 Wythburn Church 3.3.67 II

Parish church. 1640 on the site of an earlier chapel, with restoration of 1740 and 1872 addition. Painted rendered walls on projecting plinth stones, with slate rubble additions, all under graduated greenslate roofs. 3-bay nave with west open bellcote and slightly higher apse of 1872 and south vestry. C20 studded plank door and C20 2-light casement windows, all within plain reveals. Triple lancet west window. Narrow round-headed windows in vestry and apse. Interior has open timber roof on C17 trusses. Stained glass in west window 1888; that in apse by Henry Holiday, 1892 and Hugh Arnold, 1906. Late C19 furnishing and fittings.

Listing NGR: NY3243813578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72191
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08484/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].