This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEWLANDS CHURCH AND FORMER SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEWLANDS CHURCH AND FORMER SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1144570

Location

NEWLANDS CHURCH AND FORMER SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Above Derwent

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72086

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 21 NW ABOVE DERWENT

15/2 Newlands Church and former School 3.3.67 (formerly listed separately)

II Parish church and former school, now meeting room. Church rebuilt in 1843 on earlier site; school dated 1877. Painted roughcast walls under graduated greenslate roof. 3-bay nave/chancel with south stone porch and west twin bellcote. Single-storey 2-bay former school adjoins west end. Nave has gabled porch and tall round-headed windows. School has casement windows in plain reveals. Rear extension has casement windows with glazing bars and rounded bars in heads. School has wall plaque inscribed NEWLANDS SCHOOL BUILT BY THE PARISHIONERS 1877, CLOSED 1967 THIS STONE WAS PLACED HERE IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF DOROTHEA POTTS HEADMISTRESS 1943-1963. Interior of church has gallery over vestibule and vestry, giving access to both school and church. Royal Arms of George II dated 1737. C17 pulpit and lecturn. Wainscoating is of reused C17 panelling. Stained glass window as First World War memorial. Late C19 furnishings and fittings.

Listing NGR: NY2299019366

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/167995
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66956

National Grid Reference: NY 22990 19366

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:49:36.

End of official listing