This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1144590



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wigton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72021

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NY 2548 WIGTON HIGH STREET (East side) Wigton

14/67 Church of St Mary 1/4/67 G.V. II*

Parish Church on medieval site. Dated and inscribed in porch 1788, PATTINSON AND HOLMES JOINERS, NIXONS AND PARKIN MASONS, built to the same design as St Michael's, Workington, 1770 and St Cuthbert's, Carlisle, 1778; restoration 1881 (dated in porch) by C.J. Ferguson; vestry dated 1912. Red sandstone from Shawk Quarry, with V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth; string course, eaves cornice and parapet. Graduated greenslate roof. 2-storey, 8-bay nave; 3-storey west tower/porch; north vestry; lower single-bay chancel. Tower: panelled west door under intersecting-glazing bar fanlight in quoined surround. Similar treatment to casement window above. Round window above with patterned glazing bars. Large painted clock face with modillioned surround. Round-headed bell openings with louvred vents. Modillioned battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Nave: south panelled doors in round-headed quoined surrounds flank round-headed leaded-paned windows, some with stained glass. Similar gallery windows above. Venetian east window in chancel. Interior: Tuscan and Doric columned gallery, upper columns with individual entablature. Ceiling with decorative oval and circular-moulded plaster panels. Early C20 baptistery with carved oak screen. Numerous white marble wall plaques. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Side chapel has reredos made of re-used Flemish carved oak panels. 3-decker pulpit. OS bench mark on quoin stone left of entrance.

Listing NGR: NY2559948273

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 25599 48273


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 05:56:52.

End of official listing