This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BRIDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRIDE

List entry Number: 1144617

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirkbride

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 25 NW KIRKBRIDE Kirkbride

1/4/67

3/34 Church of St Bride, formerly listed as Church of St Bridget) II*

Parish church. C12 with C19 restoration. Large blocks of red sandstone (thought to be of Roman origin) with flush quoins. Nave roof of graduated sandstone slates; chancel, vestry and porch with greenslate roofs. 3-bay nave with west open bellcote and south porch; lower single-bay chancel with south vestry. Nave has round-headed south entrance with C19 timber-framed porch. Tall C19 cusped-headed windows, that to left of 2-lights. North wall has narrow blocked entrance under flat lintel. One original narrow round-headed window and similar window in chancel. C19 intersecting east window. Interior: unmoulded chancel arch on plain imposts. Square-bowled font with knobbly leaf decoration around the underside and trefoil and quatrefoil panel decorations on each side. Small square stoup in chancel has rounded corners and carved lamb and cross decoration. Inscription over south entrance, now door into vestry, E(cclesia) Bride. C19 and early C20 stained glass, east window by Kayll & Co, Leeds, 1904. Photographs of the 1895-8 restoration in the vestry, show that almost all of the chancel was taken down and rebuilt.

Listing NGR: NY2296057329

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 22960 57329

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:28:35.

End of official listing