ROYAL OAK HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144667

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: ROYAL OAK HOTEL, STATION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL OAK HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 14:19:16.

Location

Statutory Address: ROYAL OAK HOTEL, STATION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Keswick

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY2670323416

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KESWICK STATION STREET 1. -------------- 5161 NY 2623 1/49 Royal Oak Hotel 2.10.51. II GV

2. Late C18 and 1909. 3 storeys, the ground floor of scored stucco, pebbledashed above. Main Street front has 2 shouldered-arched entrances with Gibbs surrounds, 7 windows without glazing bars, bands. Station Street front of older part has 2 stair windows, otherwise 3 windows each floor. Extension to right (east) dated 1909-10, also 3 storeys, with slate ground floor, dated over doorway and on rainwater-heads; gables, 4 canted oriels, stone doorway with large round hood, 12 windows including wing at right angles on east end, mostly 4-light casements with wood mullions and transoms, and some original ornamental glazing. This was the main coaching inn of Keswick, and the meeting place for poets. Sir Walter Scott wrote part of "Bridal of Triermain" here. Lord Tennyson and R L Stevenson visited, also John Peel. Interior has cornices.

Listing NGR: NY2670323416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71802

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing