BELL TOWER NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1144818

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: BELL TOWER NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELL TOWER NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:52:22.

Location

Statutory Address: BELL TOWER NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkoswald

National Grid Reference: NY 55542 40974

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 55550 40970 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD NY 54 SE

7/63 Bell Tower north-east 27.12.67 of Church of St Oswald

II*

Bell Tower. Core of 1743 (date on weather vane) with inscription over entrance THIS TOWER WAS REBUILT/1893/IN MEMORY OF/JOHN HENRY RANSOME/VICAR 1877-1892. Coursed red sandstone rubble wall, flat roof not visible. Small square 2-storey tower with angle stair turret. Lower stonework is C18 with C19 rebuilding of upper floor. Plank door in roll moulded surround; 2-light mullioned bell openings have louvred stone vents; battlemented parapet with angle projecting water spouts. Surrounding plinth is of similar materials with steps to entrance, ball finials at angles. 3 inscribed bells, 1619, 1729 and 1892. See, Guide to St Oswalds Church, Kirkoswald, 1974, p16. The only detached church Bell Tower in north Cumbria.

Listing NGR: NY5554240974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73489

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide to St Oswalds Church Kirkoswald, (1974), 16

End of official listing