CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1144902

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH BROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 20:32:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH BROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Brough

National Grid Reference: NY 79315 13921

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 71 SE BROUGH CHURCH BROUGH

8/17 Church of St Michael 12.9.57 G.V II* Parish church, dating from C12; west tower by Blenkinsop of Helbeck, 1513-1525. Sandstone blocks with chamfered plinth to chancel; cavetto moulding to eaves carries low parapet. Stepped buttressing. Low-pitch lead roofs. 3-stage west tower; nave with added north aisle, and chancel. Memorial slab next to pulpit (dated 1624) on south side of nave bears the following carved inscription (sic): HERE LYE GABRIELL VINCENT STEWARD TO THE R H ANNE CLIFFORD COUNTESS DOWAGER OF PEMBROOKE DORSETT AND MONTGOMERY. AND CHIEF DIRECTOR OF ALL HER BVILDINGS IN THE NORTH WHO DYED IN THE ROMAN TOWER OF BROVGH CASTLE LIKE A GOOD CHRISTIAN THE 12 OF FFEBRUARY 1665 1666. LOOKING FOR THE SECOND COMMINGE OF OVR SAVIOVR IESVS CHRIST. Inside church at west end is Celtic Cross 1914-18 war memorial. For plan and further details of architecture and fittings see R.C.H.M. pp49 and 50.

Listing NGR: NY7931513921

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73285

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/141202
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3038

End of official listing