This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1144921

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MELMERBY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ousby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 63 NW OUSBY MELMERBY 27.12.67

9/168 Church of St John the Baptist

G.V. II

Church, founded C13 but extensively restored in C19. Medieval stonework survives in north and end walls; coursed, squared rubble. C19 work of sandstone blocks. Plinth, string, and moulded eaves; stepped buttressing. Graduated slate roof with stone copings, gabled kneelers, and C19 apex crosses. Single cell plan with 3-stage tower added to north-west corner in 1848. Gabled porch moved from west end and rebuilt on south side in 1895; blocked medieval door on north side. Some medieval windows, others C19. Internally, nave originally divided by 2 rows of piers, now open with offset chancel arch. Piscina in south wall of chancel has damaged octofoil drain; tomb-slab in chancel is carved with crocketed cross, sword, and coat of arms.

Listing NGR: NY6110237444

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 61102 37444

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:27:24.

End of official listing