This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1144922

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, TOWNHEAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ousby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73230

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 63 SW OUSBY TOWNHEAD, OUSBY

14/170 Church of St Luke

G.V. II

Church. Incorporates medieval walling but extensively rebuilt in late C16 and again in 1858. Early work of rubble or large blocks; C19 masonry squared, snecked, and hammer-dressed. Part of medieval plinth and quoining survives; buttresses C19. Graduated slate roofs with some stone flagging to eaves; pedimented belfry to west, apex crosses to east. 2-cell plan. Jamb of medieval north door visible to left of 1896 gabled porch which encloses blocked original lancet; another original lancet in south wall opposite. Other windows C19. Ornate pedimented memorial slab fastened to south wall has fine inscriptions dated 1767 and 1791. Internally, combined piscina and 3-seater sedilia in south chancel wall is partly medieval. Early C14 wooden effigy of knight is unpainted but part of one side is missing.

Listing NGR: NY6317434326

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 63174 34326

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:50:39.

End of official listing