This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER NORTH EAST WING OF RAYSON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER NORTH EAST WING OF RAYSON HALL

List entry Number: 1144923

Location

FORMER NORTH EAST WING OF RAYSON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ousby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 63 SW OUSBY TOWNHEAD, OUSBY

14/172 Former north-east wing 27.12.67 of Rayson Hall (formerly listed as part of Rayon Hall)

G.V. II

Original house. Lintel dated H.R. M.R. 1606 but may incorporate earlier material; built for Hugh Rayson, rector of Ousby Church 1583-1611. Extensively reconstructed in late C20. Coursed rubble with quoins. Graduated slate roof has stone end chimneys; coping to north end. 2 storeys. Part-glazed door in convex-moulded surround under hoodmould with decorative labels. Window to left surrounds (mullions now removed) under hoodmoulds with decorative labels. Blocked fire window to ground floor extreme right has chip-carved lintel. Original single, and mullioned 2-light, windows survive to rear which had central gabled stair wing added in late C17. House at present (1983) being extended into former outbuilding adjoining east end. Internally, C20 subdivisions have been inserted and little survives from the earlier work except the closed string staircase which has turned balusters, moulded handrail and square newels.

Listing NGR: NY6322434200

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 63224 34200

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144923 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:15:07.

End of official listing