Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BRANTHWAITE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145204.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:52:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Allerdale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 06522 25344


DEAN BRANTHWAITE NY 02 SE 8/97 Branthwaite Hall 3-3-67 I

Tower house with hall wing. Late C14 or early C15, with C16 wing; 1604 and 1670's alterations, all for the Skelton family. Extremely thick walls of mixed calciferous and red sandstone rubble, partly rendered. Rebuilt graduated greenslate roofs, that of tower within parapets; brick ridge chimney stack. Square 4-storey tower with 3-storey, 6-bay hall and 3-storey stair projection. Tower has many original openings and loops, some blocked and others with C16 and C17 enlargements. Stone spouts beneath battlemented parapets. Hall has 1670's fenestration (believed to be the work of William Thackeray) replacing blocked 2-light stone-mullioned windows; sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves under ground-floor cornices and upper-floor segmental pediments, one of the windows being a blocked C17 doorway. Left C19 sash windows in stone surrounds. Rear has central stair projection. Left C19 plank door in wooden surround. 2-, 3- and 4-light Tudor windows under hoodmoulds, some blocked and one with label dated 1604. Blocked 2-light attic windows. Stair projection has 3-light Tudor window. C17 right pent extension. Interior of tower has ground-floor double-vaulted chambers. Newel staircase in angle of wall for full height to roof. Mural chambers in upper-floor rooms. Pointed-arched doorways on 2 floors between hall and tower. Hall range has blocked C16 stone fireplaces on both floors. newel staircase in stair projection for full 3 storeys. Owned by the National Coal Board who are, at time of resurvey in Summer 1985, about to carry out extensive and sympathetic renovation for use as offices. Otherwise at the time of survey derelict and unoccupied. A scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: NY0652225344


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].