GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145257

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: GRANGE FARMHOUSE, BAMPTON GRANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRANGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 15:19:48.

Location

Statutory Address: GRANGE FARMHOUSE, BAMPTON GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Bampton

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 52088 18093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BAMPTON BAMPTON GRANGE NY 51 NW 12/79 Grange Farmhouse 6.2.68

GV II Farmhouse now private house. Mid C17 with additions dated over entrance T&MI 1703 (Jackson); late C18 additions and early C19 alterations. Painted rendered walls on projecting stone plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with stepped gables; original rendered stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with left single-bay extension (probably originally a barn or stable) under common roof and rear 2-storey, single-bay extension, forming overall L-shape. House has 2 original C17 ground-floor windows, one retaining its chamfered stone mullion. Other windows are sashes in C18 or C19 painted stone surrounds. Left extension has cross passage with Tudor-arched doorway, the lintel inscribed. Straight joint above right of doorway shows that this part is an extension. Late C18 double sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds. Rear outshut contained dairy with small casement window in plain reveal under drip- stone; return wall of outshut has loft doorway reached by external stone steps. Rear extension has sash and casement windows in C18 painted stone surrounds. Interior has early C18 stone fireplace with flanking panelled cupboards that at right dated and inscribed TM (J covered by plaster ceiling) 1704. Complete beamed ceiling. Parts of C18 panelled partition survives. Some early C18 panelled doors. Exposed roof beams in upper floor. Reset early C18 panelled screen in left extension. Rear C17 semicircular stone staircase, externally covered by outshut and extension. Former dairy has stone slab shelves. A panelled court cupboard of 1696 has been removed since 1936, see RCHM, Westmorland, p30.

Listing NGR: NY5208818093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74480

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 30

End of official listing