CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145271

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 16:51:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Askham

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 51818 23856

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:-

ASKHAM NZ 5023 NY5123

16/8 Church of St Peter 6.2.68 II

The grade shall be amended to read 11* (star)

------------------------------------

ASKHAM NY 5023 NY 5123 16/8 Church of St Peter

6.2.68 GV II Parish church. Dated over entrance 1832, by Sir Robert Smirke (who was also the architect of the nearby Lowther Castle), incorporating features from the medieval church on this site. Snecked calciferous sandstone ashlar with eaves cornice and raised quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated green slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. Square south-west tower, 4-bay nave/chancel with north transept and south aisle. Tower has round-arched studded south door, round-headed windows and round-headed twin bell openings. Nave has west studded doors in pointed arch under 3-light window. Each side has round-headed windows. 3-light east window. Interior has 4-bay Gothic-arched arcade. Rear gallery, panelled pulpit and C19 panelled oak pews, the ends carved with Lowther arms. Various C19 white marble wall plaques. Transept was the burial chapel of the Sandford family of Askham Hall, hence C17 and C18 wall plaques to members of that family. Stem and bowl font dated 1661. C19 creed and pater boards.

Listing NGR: NY5181823856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74406

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing