CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145310

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:14:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Langwathby

National Grid Reference: NY 56904 33730

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 53 SE LANGWATHBY LANGWATHBY

8/97 Church of St Peter

II*

Parish church. C13 with C15 alterations, partly rebuilt in 1718 (dated with plaque and churchwarden's names) with porch dated 1836. Red sandstone rubble walls, the 1718 walls of dressed red sandstone with eaves cornice and V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; west twin bellcote. Red sandstone roof on porch. 5-bay nave with north aisle and west porch/vestry. 2-bay chancel. Nave has C13 aisle wall with blocked north doorway, a C15 chamfered-surround window and lancet east and west windows. The south wall of both nave and chancel is of 1718 with tall round-headed windows. Porch has flattened pointed-arched doorway under hoodmould, and lancet west window. Vestry is early C20. Other chancel walls are probably C15. The 1718 wall has blocked priest's doorway. 3-light C18 east window. Interior has 3-bay arcade of C13 pointed arches on rebuilt octagonal columns. C15 2-light west window now covered by porch. Late medieval open timber roof. Alms plaque 1703. 2 breast plates and helmet, used as parish armour, mounted on wall. C18 baluster font.

Listing NGR: NY5690433730

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74301

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing