CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145328

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 23:44:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Lowther

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 51904 24454

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER

12/142 Church of St Michael 6.2.68

GV II*

Parish church. C12 and Cl3 with extensive late C17 rebuilding; C19 alterations and additions. Partly-rendered sandstone rubble walls with eaves cornice and raised red sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables. 4-bay nave with west porch and aisles; central square 3-storey tower with north and south transepts; single-bay chancel. Nave is externally late C17 with moulded-surround windows in aisles and in clerestory. C19 gabled stone porch. Tower is partly medieval and in late C17 had a domed cupola, removed in C19 and replaced by an extra storey and a battlemented parapet. C19 triple lancet windows. Transepts are late C17, that to south with Lowther arms in pediment. Line of original transept roof can be seen in tower wall above. Chancel has C17 priest's doorway and tall round-headed windows, 2 in east wall. North vestry. Interior of porch has free-standing remains of 3 hog-back coffin lids and a saxon cross shaft. Interior: north arcade has 3 C12 round piers with carved capitals, supporting round arches. Similar round arches of south arcade are supported by C13 octagonal piers. Font c.1686 inscribed TA. Various marble wall plaques to members of the Lowther family and C20 heraldic stained glass in south windows. Pointed tower arch. Hanoverian Royal Arms of the 3rd period (1816-37) on gallery and pater boards above. In the south transept are elaborate monuments to various members of the Lowther family: an alabaster effigy of Sir Richard Lowther 1608, with accompanying wall-mounted heraldic plaque; John Viscount Lowther 1700, marble effigy and wall plaque; elaborate wall plaque of 2 busts with garlands and railed backdrop to John Lowther and Lord Lowther 1675. More C19 and C20 marble and brass monuments and wall plaques to members of the Lowther family in south transept and in chancel. Dado panelling looks C17 but altar rail is C19 imitating C17. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, plates 13, 44, 96 and 138.

Listing NGR: NY5190424454

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74350

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936)

End of official listing