WINDERWATH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145359

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: WINDERWATH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINDERWATH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 02:23:46.

Location

Statutory Address: WINDERWATH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Brougham

National Grid Reference: NY 59808 29376

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 52 NE BROUGHAM WINDERWATH

10/16 Winderwath House (formerly listed as 6.2.68 Winderwath) II

House. Mid C17 incorporating medieval features, with extensive C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Painted stucco walls with red sandstone dressings, under graduated greenslate roof with banded cement-rendered chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays; original house at right-angles to rear, lower 2 storeys, 3 bays. C19 facade has off-centre Tudor-arched doorway. Sash and mullioned-and-transomed windows under hoodmoulds in central 3 bays. Left 2-storey canted bay window under gable. Larger projecting gabled bay to right with 2-storey canted bay window. Set into the right return wall is a reused coat-of-arms panel, not identified. The older house has a C20 door in a C17 moulded doorcase with enriched pilasters, console-bracketed enriched frieze and cornice; over which has been set the Clifford arms. C19 stone-mullioned windows of 2, 4 and 6 lights. Right 2-storey bay window. At left is a fragment of wall which has C20 battlements, on the other side of which is a C20 lean-to extension. Rear has C20 flat-roofed extension. Built into the rear of the C19 alterations is an inverted panel of unidentified arms and a grotesque medieval head. Interior of old house has a C15 trefoil-headed rear window, now internal, in an extremely thick wall (thought by owner to represent a chapel within the medieval house). Dining room has a C17 fireplace with rusticated jambs and hood, enriched Ionic pilasters, frieze with blank shields and a wreath, and moulded cornice. Smaller contemporary kitchen fireplace and one in the bedroom above. Pointed-arched blocked doorway in gable wall is thought by owner to be the original doorway into the 'pele tower', but the layout has the appearance of a C15 hall rather than a C14 tower and there is no documentary evidence to suggest a tower on this site. Belonged to the Clifford family until purchased in Cl7 by Thomas Braithwaite. Bought by William Wyvill before his death in 1658 and sold by that family to the Hasells of Dalemain in 1787. Passed from the Hasells to the Salmonds, who first rented, then sold the house to James Atkinson. Sold to William Langrigg in 1893. Old folks' home during 1939-45 war, since then in the possession of the Pollock family. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp.68-69.

Listing NGR: NY5980829376

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74219

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 68-9

End of official listing