CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145428

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, B6260

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:37:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, B6260

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Orton

National Grid Reference: NY 62214 08395

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORTON B6260 (West side) NY 60 NW Orton 13/72 Church of All Saints 6.2.68

GV II*

Parish Church. Various dates from late C12. Chancel and north nave aisle rebuilt during 1878 restoration by Paley & Austin. Nave and tower stone blocks on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses; chancel ashlar. Shallow-pitch lead roof over nave and south aisle; graduated slate roofs to north aisle and chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave, aisleless chancel. Early C16 three-stage castellated tower. Gabled porch in 1st nave bay on south side is dated 1607. Nave aisle windows all 3 segment-headed lights under hoodmoulds with labels (south aisle windows are early C16). Parapet. Lancet windows to chancel. Interior: Arcades of squat, wide pointed arches; late C12 pier and respond in east bay of south arcade formed part of original crossing. Late C15/early C16 roof timbers to nave and aisles. Octagonal stone font dated 1662 with initials D.W. & M.O. Piscina in trefoil-arched recess at east end of south aisle. 1695 Royal Arms painted on panel over entrance. 3 bells on frame in north aisle, one cast c.1530 by John Woolley of Nottingham, others dated 1637. Good C19 glass.

For dated plan and detailed architectural description see 1936 R.C.H.M. Westmorland

Listing NGR: NY6221408395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74091

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936)

End of official listing