HIGH HEAD CASTLE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY WING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145451

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: HIGH HEAD CASTLE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY WING

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH HEAD CASTLE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY WING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 09:50:45.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGH HEAD CASTLE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY WING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Skelton

National Grid Reference: NY 40279 43334

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 44 SW SKELTON HIGH HEAD

5/217 High Head Castle C18 Wing

G.V. II*

Country house in ruins, built on the site of a medieval castle. 1744-7, probably by James Gibbs for the Brougham family, partly destroyed by fire 1956. Red sandstone ashlar with string course, eaves modillions, open balustraded parapet and V-jointed quoins. Roofless but with banded ashlar sandstone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 11 bays. Projecting pedimented 3-bay centre, with carved ornament in pediment, has central door in alternate-block surround with entablature and pediment. Stone window architraves. Return and rear walls are partly in ruins. Interior completely gutted. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xi, pp.379-384; for the attribution to James Gibbs see G. Beard, 'The Greater House in Cumbria', 1979, pp...... Derelict and unoccupied at the time of survey; owner's application to demolish refused in 1985.

Listing NGR: NY4027943334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73946

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beard, G, The Greater House in Cumbria, (1978)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 11, (), 379-84

End of official listing