CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145473

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:32:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Hesket

National Grid Reference: NY 49707 37164

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 43 NE HESKET PLUMPTON

10/177 Church of St John the Evangelist

G.V. II

Church. Dated 1907, by Sir Robert Lorimer. Mixed red and orange Penrith sandstone, coursed rubble walls, under graduated greenslate roofs with lead rainwater heads and downspouts. 3-bay nave with south porch and square 2-storey south tower; single-bay chancel with north vestry. Chancel has battered gabled porch with pointed inner and outer arches. 2- and 3-light windows, that in west wall of 5 lights. Battered tower has narrow round-arched doorway and projecting angle turret. Square bell openings with almond-shaped fretwork, under shaped battlements. West gable buttress has datestone. Interior has no fixed pews, but has other fine woodwork; the linen-fold panelled doors, the barrel-vaulted panelled ceiling and linen-fold panelled pulpit. Figurative stained glass in one window by Morris & Co. 1906. This is not listed in Christopher Hussey's book on Lorimer, but a brass inscription plate gives the architect's name and that of the patron, Joseph Harris of Brackenburgh.

Listing NGR: NY4970737164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73901

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hussey, C, The Work of Sir Robert Lorimer, (1931)

End of official listing