This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1145492



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Greystoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73855

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/132 & 13/132 Blencow Hall Farmhouse and 27.12.67 gatehouse wing (formerly listed as Blencow Hall with adjacent farm buildings and remains of moat)

G.V. I

Fortified house with gatehouse wing. Probably late C15 with 1590 alterations and additions; further C20 alterations. Thick walls of large blocks of pink sandstone rubble, the towers with battlemented parapets and stone spouts. Hall and gatehouse wing have graduated greenslate roofs with banded red sandstone chimney stacks. 2-storey, 4-bay hall with flanking rectangular 3-storey, single-bay towers, the left tower extending to rear as a 2-storey, 5-bay gatehouse wing, forming overall H-shape. The front wall of the hall has been completely rebuilt, probably in 1590, being moved back about 2 metres; part of the original front wall remains as a buttress in return angle of left tower and the original roof line can be traced on this tower wall. 2-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, the right windows blocked on ground floor, to accommodate a C19 porch, and partly blocked above. Right tower thought to be older, perhaps confirmed by angle turret containing newel staircase, common to the tower and the hall before its rebuilding. The turret shares front wall with the tower and has a stone-surround doorway and small irregular chamfered openings on 4 levels. The front wall continues beyond the turret as a buttress, perhaps added, since it cuts light to hall windows. Between this buttress and the present hall front, an upper-floor opening from the newel stair would have led into the hall. Front wall also has a small ground-floor casement window under a 4-light stone-mullioned window with hoodmould and large relieving arch; 2nd-floor similar 3-light window. Battlements partly removed in C20. Right return wall and rear of this tower have 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, some partly blocked, all under hoodmoulds, one insertion inscribed M.H. 1918 (Howard); some label stops are carved heads, others are inscribed H.B. (Henry Blencow). Left return wall, at junction with the rear of the hall, has a squint window avoiding the hall. Left tower also has a turret, with shared front wall, but without a stair. Front wall rent from ground-floor window to hattlements, but battlements otherwise complete. The turret projects on left return wall, otherwise common with gatehouse wing, which has 2-light stone-mullioned windows, one with hoodmould stops inscribed H.B. and left segmental-arched passage. Thick rear hall wall has Tudor-arched doorway with lintel inscribed in Latin and HENRY BLENCOW 1590, under an armorial panel, initialled H.B. or R.B. Various stone-mullioned windows and smaller openings, with earlier blocked windows. Rear wall of gatehouse wing has Tudor-arched doorways, one initialled H.B. External stone steps to C18 loft doorway. Interior of hall has Tudor-arched stone doorways throughout. A large C16 stone-arched fireplace in the kitchen. The present C19 staircase has earlier timber-framed partitions. Fireplaces and doorways in the towers on various levels, but both are derelict without roofs and floors. Interior of gatehouse wing has a smaller C16 stone-arched fireplace. See M.W. Taylor, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland, 1892, pp.288-294.

Listing NGR: NY4500532596

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, M W , Old Manorial Halls of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1892), 288-294

National Grid Reference: NY 45018 32603


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:32:04.

End of official listing