This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE CHAPEL OF CHRIST AND ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHAPEL OF CHRIST AND ST MARY

List entry Number: 1145497

Location

THE CHAPEL OF CHRIST AND ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hesket

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73866

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 54 NW HESKET ARMATHWAITE

3/142 The Chapel of Christ & St Mary

II

Chapel. Early C17 with early C20 restoration. Large blocks of dressed red sandstone, under graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 3-bay continuous nave and chancel, with west open bellcote; and C20 north vestry with flat roof and shaped parapets. C20 oak plank south door in hollow-chamfered surround. Restored round-headed windows. East window of 2 round-headed lights under hoodmould, also a restoration. Interior has C17 open timber roof of kingpost trusses. 2 hatchment panels of arms to the Milbournes of Armathwaite Castle. 1914 stained glass window by Morris & Co and one of 1915 by A.L. Moore & Son, London, after a painting by Peter Paul Rubens. West window signed Nicholson, London, 1937. Various C19 white marble wall plaques to occupants of Armathwaite Castle. Late C19 furnishings and fittings.

Listing NGR: NY5059946200

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 50599 46200

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:55:53.

End of official listing