LAYTON MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145516

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: LAYTON MANOR HOUSE, BERRIER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAYTON MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:17:09.

Location

Statutory Address: LAYTON MANOR HOUSE, BERRIER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Greystoke

National Grid Reference: NY4359830674

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 43 SW 12/93 27.12.67

GREYSTOKE BERRIER ROAD (South side) Greystoke

Layton Manor House (formerly listed as Leighton Manor House)

II

Probably late C16 with C19 alterations and additions. Thick walls of large blocks of red sandstone rubble; graduated greenslate roof with ashlar chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 2 bays with right-angled 2-bay extension of common roof line, and lower left C19 2-storey, 2-bay extension forming overall L-shape. Doorway in re-entrant angle has plank door in broad chamfered surround under reused carved coat-of-arms of the Layton family of Dalemain, dated 1649 (thought to have been brought here in the C19 from Dalemain). Main body of the house and contemporary extension have 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, and 3 small firewindows, 2 of them blocked. Gable wall at front has blocked doorway under 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned window. Right return has sash windows in C19 surrounds. C19 extension has 2-light windows under hoodmoulds. Left return has Tudor-arched stone porch. Interior has broad segmental-arched stone fireplace. This house belonged to the Halton family until sold to the Duke of Norfolk in 1785, who in turn sold it to the Hasell family of Dalemain. Known as Greystoke Mid-Farm in the C19. See, M.W. Taylor, The Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland, 1892, pp.310-11; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xliv, pp.93-8. Although referred to as a Manor House this building seems to have never served that role.

Listing NGR: NY4359830674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73814

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, M W , Old Manorial Halls of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1892), 310-11
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 44, (), 93-8

End of official listing