- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CATTERLEN HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145528.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:20:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CATTERLEN HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Eden (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 47810 32055
NY 43 SE CATTERLEN NEWTON REIGNY
13/19 Catterlen Hall
Fortified tower with later hall wings. Early C15 with C16 ranges dated on panel over entrance inscribed with Vaux coat-of-arms R.V. A.V. (Roland and Annie Vaux) AT THIS TYME IS ROWLANDE VAUX LORDE OF THYS PLACE AND BUILDED THIS HALL YR OF GOD 1577 (previously assumed to be in its original position), with alterations dated 1652 on panel of Richmond arms over further entrance, for Christopher Richmond. Tower has thick pink sandstone block walls on projecting boulder plinth, with projecting battlemented parapets and stone water spouts. Flat roof not visible. Hall ranges have similar, but thinner walls, under graduated greenslate roof with large red sandstone chimney stacks. Rectangular tower of 2 storeys over vaulted basement. Adjoining lower 2-storey, 6-bay hall with right-angled 2-bay extension and basement of demolished bays, forming overall L-shape. Tower retains all its medieval features and does not form part of the present domestic accommodation of the hall. Ground-floor small chamfered-surround loops light vaulted basement. Upper-floor 2-light stone-mullioned windows with cusped heads and hoodmoulds, that on first floor with panel above of Vaux arms. Rear 2nd-floor doorway led to a former bretasche supported by 3 surviving corbel stones. Hall has off-centre Tudor-arched doorway under inscribed panel. 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows with round-headed lights; one right ground-floor window now a doorway under a blocked window. Large right projecting chimney breast. Extension has broad central stone steps to first-floor elaborate C17 alternate-block doorway, the arch of raised projecting bands, all under panel of arms and pediments. 3-light C17 stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds. Rear of hall has similar windows, 2 coverted to doorways, and left external spiral stair turret. Rear of extension has irregular 2- and 3-light C16 windows and large C17 mullioned and transomed windows, now blocked but with painted glazing bars. Extension continues to left as a vaulted cellar reached by spiral stair, but now has C20 garage built over and is only evident from the rear. Interior: the tower has angle spiral staircase for full height, entered by medieval doorway from hall. Original fireplaces and window seats. Hall has segmental stone-arched inglenook and C16 beamed ceilings. Mural straight stair to upper-floor with later spiral stair to rear. Interior of extension has 2 C17 chimney pieces inscribed C.M.R. 1657 (Christopher & Mabel Richmond). See W.M. Taylor, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland, 1892, pp.271-8; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, vii, pp,1ll-l19.
Listing NGR: NY4781032055
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Taylor, M W , Old Manorial Halls of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1892), 271-8
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 7, (), 111-119
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing