This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NO.7 (INCLUDES 9 AND 11)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NO.7 (INCLUDES 9 AND 11)

List entry Number: 1145672

Location

NO.7 (INCLUDES 9 AND 11), 7, STRAMONGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kendal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 5192 NE KENDAL STRAMONGATE (South side)

8/141 No 7 (includes 9 and 11)

14-4-69

G.V. II*

Town-house of Bellingham family, now shop. Said to date back to mid C15, certainly C16. Restored 1863 for John Broadbent who placed panel, showing Bellingham arms and date 1546, in dormer window gable. Later additions and alterations. Wet-dashed rubble. Graduated slate roof has central gabled dormer with decoratively carved C19 barge-boards; stone chimneys. 2 storeys with cellar, 3 bays. Part-glazed door with 2 plate-glass windows to left and one to right; cellar access below windows. Two 3-light wood-mullioned windows to 1st floor and one to dormer. Interior: Dog-leg closed-string stair has turned newels (with ball finials) and balusters with moulded handrail. Both 1st floor front end rooms have ornately carved fireplaces; east room's probably original C16, west room's lintel C16 but jambs later (C17?), with Bellingham arms. Window seat in west room said to be dower chest of Mary Rogers: 3 carved panels with M R 1628 around lock; cupboard door, with 'H' hinges to right of fireplace has cartouche, with foliate supporters, on panel above inscribed ...(?) PRO JACOBVS GALLE II REX C.B. To left of fireplace in west room is a cupboard; central mahogany door (with butterfly hinges), between two C17 carved panels, has Bellingham arms on cartouche initialled and dated 1774 B. Heavy oak beams throughout (some remains of moulded plaster casing to beam in storeroom at rear).

Listing NGR: SD5166592756

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51665 92756

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:09:28.

End of official listing