MILL BROW HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145767

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1983

Statutory Address: MILL BROW HOUSE, MILL BROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL BROW HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145767 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 05:54:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MILL BROW HOUSE, MILL BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale

National Grid Reference: SD 61253 78775

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MILL BROW 1. 5166 (south side) Mill Brow House SD 6178 NW 5/116 II GV

2. 1811. Former workhouse. Three storeys and basement. Squared watershot rubble. Slate roof. Three chimneys. Quoins. Plinth. Four windows with sills and plain reveals. Those to second floor retain iron casements, the rest reglazed. Doorway with plain stone surround. Modern door. Attached at rear (ie on Mill Brow) is former mill, entered through door on first landing of workhouse. Two storeys at upper end and three at lower. Square coursed rubble. Slate roof. Quoins. Large segmental headed doorway and similar window over. Plank door of two-leaves with fanlight with all glazing bars. Interior of workhouse. Four flight dogleg stair with stone treads. Ground and first floors partitioned, probably in C19. Second floor retains floor of large stone flags and rooms opening off spinal corridor. Built in 1811 as a workhouse, condemned by the Poor Law Commissioners. A Hostel in 1910. Now flats.

Listing NGR: SD6125378775

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 75230

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing