TEARNSIDE HALL AND ATTACHED STABLE AND BARN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145782

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: TEARNSIDE HALL AND ATTACHED STABLE AND BARN, KENDAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TEARNSIDE HALL AND ATTACHED STABLE AND BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 02:18:42.

Location

Statutory Address: TEARNSIDE HALL AND ATTACHED STABLE AND BARN, KENDAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale

National Grid Reference: SD 58827 79397

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KENDAL ROAD 1. 5166 Tearnside Hall and attached stable and barn SD 57 NE 3/49 21.11.52 II*

2. 1686 and early C18. Well-preserved farmhouse, stable and barn in one range. The farmhouse dates from 1686 but was probably heightened and altered in the early C18 when the stable and barn were probably added. The farmhouse is of two storeys with attic. Rubble with rough quoins. Slate roof. Three chimneys with slate water tables. The entrance facade is defined by two continuous strings which form labels to several chamfered two and three light stone mullioned windows, all with modern glazing. Off centre two storey gabled stone porch with larger rectangular three light window on first floor over which label is stepped. The double filleted mullions form the outline of a Venetian window. Doorway below has moulded jambs and a lintel carved with foliage, over which lower label is stepped. Above this is a plaque with label around, with raised lettering: "IAB 1686" and foliage. Plank door. To right of porch is another doorway with chamfered jambs carried up to form ogee enrichment on lintel. Modern stable door. The left hand side elevation has one small chamfered stone window on each floor. The rear elevation has two out shuts, one (the staircase) roofed continuously with the main block, the other which abuts it under a separate lean-to roof. The first is of one bay, the second of two, all the windows being of two lights with plain reveals but chamfered stone mullions. Interior. Left hand room ground floor has large stone fireplace with moulded imposts supporting a segmental lintel with enrichment and cornice. C19 wooden Gothic dado panelling with cast iron cusping, brought from elsewhere. Central ground floor room has an altered stone fireplace with smooth lintel. Plank doors, except that to the larger outshut, which is of two panels preserving its upper bolection moulding, and that to the staircase, which is of two leaves each of two panels of C17 type. Open well closed string stair of six short flights and two landings with square panelled newels, turned balusters and heavy moulded handrail. The first floor has exposed beams and joists, and plank doors, throughout. Left hand room has fireplace similar to that of room below, and is entirely panelled, with bolection moulded panels pieced out with modern work. In the right hand end wall of farmhouse is a small four light chamfered timber window with diamond mullions, blocked since building of stable. Large attic with heavy trench purlin raised half-cruck collar roof, one blade cut off at knee with later truss bolted on. Stable and barn of rubble. Corrugated iron roof. Small doorway to stable, large one to barn answered by another at rear. (RCHM).

Listing NGR: SD5882779397

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 75162

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936)

End of official listing