This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWN END HOUSE AND THE COURTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN END HOUSE AND THE COURTS

List entry Number: 1145784

Location

TOWN END HOUSE AND THE COURTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Mar-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75168

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAIN STREET 1. 5166 (west side) Town End House and The Courts (formerly listed as Town End House with gatepiers attached at left hand side) SD 6178 NW 5/55 12.2.62 II

2. 1777. Two storeys and basement. Ashlar. Slate roof. Three chimneys. Symmetrical five bay composition with a sixth bay added in the same style at left hand end. Rustication, vermiculated to basement lintels then banded to ground floor sills. Two strings and modillion cornice. Rainwater heads with "R.G. 1777" for Richard Gathorne. Windows with sills and plain reveals, sashed with all glazing bars. Fourth window of first floor, tripartite, forms canted bay carried on two Doric columns over doorway. Six panel door. Across front wrought iron railings on stone plinth with some urn finials. Extension to left hand side, after 1870. Two storeys but lower and lacking cornice. One chimney. One window. Back is of rubble. Two storey semi- circular bay with eaves cornice. Windows with plain stone surrounds, sashed. Those to bay tripartite. Tall stair window with glazing bars. Modern door. Interior. Alcove in front hall with elliptical arch in wood. Open string stair with stick balusters and continuous wreathed handrail. On staircase ceiling small design of roses in plaster. Raised and fielded panelled shutters to most windows. Walls of cottages previously on site said to survive in basement. Adjoining house on left hand side two sandstone gatepiers with chamfered rustication and ball finials.

Listing NGR: SD6118478498

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 61184 78498

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:51:04.

End of official listing