CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1145814
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, HEIGHTINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145814.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 14:58:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, HEIGHTINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wyre Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Rock
National Grid Reference:
SO 76758 71162

Details

SO 77 SE ROCK CP HEIGHTINGTON ROAD (north side) Heightington

5/318 Church of St Giles

25.2.58

- II*

Chapel. C13 with C14 alterations, restored C17 and late C19. Random rubble with brick dressings. Nave and chancel in one. South wall: three windows: two 2-ogeed light windows with square heads flanking a lancet, south porch to left of C19, brick with C17 boarded door; wooden bell- turret of C19 to west end; east window: a restored lancet; in north wall: a C13 lancet to left, two C17 square-headed windows with 2-light casements to right. Interior: west gallery probably C17 with turned balusters and moulded hand rail to balustrade, a newel staircase and some fixed benches made of C17 panellfng. Roof of three bays with C17 king-post trusses. A modest church graded II* for its surviving medieval fabric. (VCH 4, p 326; BoE p 195).

Listing NGR: SO7675871162

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156968
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 195
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 195

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12147/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Williamson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].