18-26, GREY STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1145819
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1971
Statutory Address:
18-26, GREY STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145819.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jan-2021 at 14:14:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
18-26, GREY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25017 64143

Details

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE GREY STREET NZ 2564 SW (east side) 21/290 17/12/71 Nos. 18 to 26 even G.V. II Shops and houses, later bank, now offices. 1836 by John Dobson for Richard Grainger; ground floor c.1890 by Newcombe. Sandstone ashlar with granite; Lakeland roof. 4 storeys and attics, 5 bays. Pink and grey granite Corinthian Order on ashlar plinth on ground floor: attached columns flanking lugged architrave, pilasters flanking windows, with ashlar reveals. Ground- floor entablature with modillioned cornice. Giant Corinthian Order above, defining end bays, overlapping pilasters and contains windows in architraves, that on first floor with bracketed pediment and that on second floor lugged, with bracketed sill. 3 central recessed bays have pilaster jambs to first floor windows; and mask-decorated parapet with urn finials above door. Second floor level balustrade; wreaths between bays. Second-floor entablature with modillioned cornice. Top floor has architraves to windows in end pavilions, plain reveals to central 3 windows. Top cornice and parapet with balustrade over pavilions. Inserted mansard and square-headed attic windows. The interior has been rebuilt c.1981.

Listing NGR: NZ2501764143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304607
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/12990/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].