CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL AND HALL ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145873

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL AND HALL ATTACHED, HEATON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL AND HALL ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 21:01:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL AND HALL ATTACHED, HEATON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 26819 66100

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HEATON ROAD (west side) 9/307 14/6/54 Church of St. Gabriel and hall attached. G.V. II Parish church. 1899 by F. W. Rich; south transept and chapel 1931 by H.L. Hicks. Snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roofs of graduated Lakeland slate with overlapping stone gable copings. Cruciform with aisled nave, north and south porches, north-east tower and porch. Free Gothic style. Moulded and shafted 2-centred arch in south porch flanked by buttresses under steep gable. Paired lancets to aisle, 4-light Perpendicular- style clerestory windows. 4-light windows in transept gables and large Decorated west and east windows. Battlemented north porches. Tower of 3 tall stages has north door, slit windows on second stage, blind-traceried arcading above and paired 2-light belfry openings. Frieze with Gothic lettering and corbel table support pierced battlements. Octagonal corner turrets to west end. Cross finials. Interior: painted plaster above boarded dado; ashlar dressings; hammer-beam roof, on pilasters and shafted corbels. 3-bay arcades have nearly-round 2-centred arches on columns with vine- carved capitals; taller enriched arches to Lady chapel and tower organ loft. Large carved tryptych reredos with niches and statues. Fresco on east wall. Rood beam. Alabaster war memorial on north wall has enamel plaques of angels Michael and Gabriel. North transept has brass memorial to Walter Baston, builder of the church and church warden, died 1913. Church hall attached to north-east: similar materials; 1 storey, 4 bays. Stone-mullioned windows under steeply-gabled dormers breaking eaves. Steeply-pitched roof.

Listing NGR: NZ2681966100

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304625

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34509

End of official listing