QUAKER COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145985

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1991

Statutory Address: QUAKER COTTAGE, OFF B5320 (NORTH SIDE), TIRRIL, CA10 2JE

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUAKER COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145985 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 15:32:59.

Location

Statutory Address: QUAKER COTTAGE, OFF B5320 (NORTH SIDE), TIRRIL, CA10 2JE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Sockbridge and Tirril

National Grid Reference: NY 50106 26667

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/02/2017

NY 5026, 15/178

SOCKBRIDGE AND TIRRIL, Tirril, Off B5320 (north side), Quaker Cottage

(Previously listed as located on the A592)

(formerly listed as Old Meeting House)

06.02.68

II

Quaker Meeting House now private house. 1731 but dated 1733 over entrance. Painted roughcast walls, under graduated greenslate roof with painted roughcast chimney stack. Single storey, three bays. Off-centre gabled stone porch with plain boarded door in painted stone surround. Sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds, the centre window a larger casement; some surrounds retain their shutter hinge brackets. INTERIOR: has its original panelled partition.

See D. Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties (1978), pp. 90-3, where he says the Meeting House was first used 3 February 1731 and suggests the porch was added two years later and hence the date over the entrance. Rear outshut is not of interest.

Listing NGR: NY5010626667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74580

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Butler, D M, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties, (1978), 90-3

End of official listing